Thursday, April 24, 2014

The End is Here.



The end is Near Here.


I am very happy I was able to take this course. My mind has been opened to new ideas about literacy as it applies to mathematics. When I first heard I was going to have to take a course on literacy instruction, being a math ed major, I was upset. I thought this course was not going to apply to me at all. Boy was I wrong!

Literacy is a huge part of mathematics! Students will benefit greatly as I incorporate different comprehension strategies into my instruction. Two huge strategies are helping students make connections to prior knowledge, and make predictions about outcomes. Mathematics builds on prior knowledge. It seems that everything you learn in math builds on each other. By helping students understand how something in math connects to their previous knowledge, comprehension will increase. 

Another thing that I think is important in mathematics is vocabulary instruction. The world of mathematics presents students with plenty of encounters with new and foreign words. Mathematics is itself a new language. If I can help students unlock the language of mathematics, then they will understand it better. (Honestly, have you ever used the words integer or prime factorization outside of a math classroom?) I like the concept of choosing 7-12 keywords in math and helping students understand those words. Students will not be able to find the least common multiple of two numbers if they do not know what a multiple is. What is a divisor? I hope that my students will be able to understand the language of mathematics.

Also, I really enjoyed doing the self-selected project. I interviewed a student about his math experiences. I asked him what he thought when I said “Math book.” He said, “Big boring book that weighs my backpack down.” I laughed and agreed with him to a point. Besides the few math books I got as a child, my only experience with a math book revolved around big boring books that you wouldn’t just pick up for a late night leisurely read. However, when doing the text set and book talk, I was introduced to a huge world of awesome math books. As “geeky” as it may sound, I would pick up many of those books for a leisurely read. Some of the books include Guesstimation: Solving the World's Problems on the Back of a Cocktail Napkin, Basketball: the Math of the Game, The Number Devil: a Mathematical Adventure, The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets, and Math Girls. I told the student I interviewed about these books and he was genuinely interested in a couple of them. I told him I planned to get these books and put them in a classroom library. He said he would “actually check them out.” 


For your viewing pleasure...Check out this video for a cool math trick to amaze your friends (I think his accent also helps)! Have a great summer!


2 comments:

  1. Kyle, awesome reflection! I especially appreciate what you said about your self-selected project. I think sometimes as educators we forget what it was like to be in the position of our students. Math can be so exciting but it can also be cripplingly difficult to relate to. I'm sure that you're in good shape going forward. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your last blog, Kyle! I posted this comment on Heidi's blog too, but I just went out to dinner with a mathematics professor who had worked on a major national grant in which she observed dozens (if not hundreds) of math teachers around the nation. To her, the biggest difference between a quality math teacher and a poor one was their use of language. Teachers who immersed their students in appropriate mathematical language, and expected students to use that language, were more likely to produce greater outcomes in learning than those who did not. Your comments on vocabulary remind me a lot of what she was saying when we sat at dinner.

    Thanks also for all of your contributions throughout the semester. You are a personable and just plain good person, which will be a great attribute to have as a teacher. I predict you will be able to make great connections to students who need positive connections, not to mention that you will be successful at teaching them mathematical concepts. Best of luck to you as you go forward into your career.

    ReplyDelete