Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Affective Dimensions of Writing



Affective Dimensions of Writing


I would consider myself a writer in the sense that I enjoy expressing myself on paper. I like the idea that on paper, you can corect correct any mistakes you may have made. I think that my joy for writing began when I was just a kid. During the summers when I was in Elementary school, my dad would make my two brothers and me lists of things we had to do that day in order to be able to go outside and do whatever we wanted to do. The purpose of these lists was to make sure our minds were still actively engaged in the process of learning. Obviously the list changed from grade to grade. Between Kindergarten and 1st grade, my list included counting to 150, doing simple math problems such as 4+5, and drawing pictures and writing about the pictures. As I got older, the list became more complex. One thing that was almost always on the list was to write a short story about certain things. For example, my dad would write “Kyle and his two brothers were walking down the road one day. They stumbled upon an abandoned cave, and noticed three magical objects…” My task was to finish the story and to read it to my dad when he got home from work. I loved these experiences because I often made my dad laugh and that made me happy. Writing actually made me happy.

However, my experience in high school was much different. I learned to not enjoy writing as much. Teachers would assign me to write a paper that had little meaning to me. The slightest mistake in grammar, the occasssionallly misspelled word, or the misuse, of a comma would dock me a lot of points. I felt that my ideas and thoughts were not being heard. The only thing the teacher seemed to care about was the grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I do understand that grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important, but by being docked so many points on a paper that, against popular belief, took me a long time to write, my mind began to think, “What is the point in putting all this work into writing if my ideas will not be heard.” 

Nevertheless, I began to enjoy writing more during my senior year of high school. I can remember an assignment that the teacher asked us to write about five experiences in our past that shaped the way we are today. I enjoyed the retrospection this assignment gave me. Once again, writing became a way for me to express my ideas (granted by the time I was a senior, I was better with grammar, spelling, and punctuation).

Through my math education process, I have had many experiences with writing in math. Most of my classes have involved a great amount of writing. Most of the writing was done to prove theorems. When many people when they hear the word “proof,” two words come to mind: Geometry and Disgusting. This makes me kind of sad. I have come to learn that proofs can be beautifully written, in more than just Geometry, and proofs are among my favorite things to write. Each step is a logical succession of the idea before it.

I think that my experiences with writing will defiantly shape how I structure opportunities to write. I like the idea of having students write their thoughts when they do various mathematical operations. I like the idea of having students analyze their answers and having students write down what their answers mean. I like the idea of having students read different proofs and write various proofs. Many students feel that mathematics is like magic; “it just works.” I feel that my job is to help students read and write the language of mathematics.

I really like the following video. I think it is a rather comical introduction to writing proofs. I also like how when the man wants to prove to the older couple that 5 goes into 25 5 times, he stands up, goes to the chalkboard, and WRITES his rationale for the way he thinks. Then the older couple WRITES their rationale for why 5 goes into 25 14 times.




6 comments:

  1. I hope that someday I can say that I like proofs as much as you do Kyle!
    I agree that writing can definitely be a strong and useful tool for understanding and expressing understanding in math. I guess I'm still a point right now where trying to write what I'm processing in my head is really hard because in all my math classes up until now have been the whole "it just works" thing, and it makes sense in my head, but I can't really use words to describe how it works. But I guess I'm a little better at it with statistics, because they tend to be more applicable to real world situations.
    Anyways, I liked your dad's idea of having you and your brothers do writing projects in the summer. That's a good idea that I'll keep in mind.
    I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad sounds awesome! I think that is a good idea to do with kids. My mom did something similar during the summer (field trips, math days, computer days) but it doesn't sound as rigorous as your summers.

    I think most people (my self included) find writing hard when you are forced into it. Writing is really easy, fun, and even therapeutic when you write about something you enjoy or are passionate about. Unfortunately, that's really hard to do in our classroom. I mean who in their right mind would want to write about the reasons behind the unification of Germany (even though its a story of pride, military, and fairy tales). Its hard to give students things to write that relate to the content your trying to teach and have that factor that entices them to write. i guess it just comes with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what your dad did Kyle, I can see why you would develop this appreciation for writing. I like that you are determined to use writing in you math teaching and i can see how it will help your students with learning math.

    I am going into Physical Education and i am having a hard time trying to figure out how to implement writing in my setting. I see that you have found smart and funny ways to use it in your teaching and I just need to be more like that. I loved your video also, I remember seeing that one time and it brought me back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Across a few of the blogs posts that I have read about writing and strategies to make it more engaging, I see a common thread: students write well when they are writing about something they want to write about. Simple enough concept I suppose, but it usually seems daunting when the time comes to pique a student's interest. Obviously, your dad developed an effective way to elicit a positive writing response from you in the way he crafted writing prompts. As you pointed out, his feedback was laughter and a genuine desire to hear or read what you came up with. I doubt he would read your prompt with a red pen, nor would he correct grammar without a ton of upfront praise (er, I would hope anyway). He probably had realistic expectations too- you had to progress and learn the skill of writing before you would be able to master it. I realize that a father has a distinct advantage of being able to spend more time and in different and more personal subjects than we as educators will be able to share with our own students, but nonetheless I hope that we as educators would try to do the same things that your father did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kyle,
    Your posting reminds me of an article I recently read about how looking at a beautiful equation can produce the same effects in the brain as looking at a beautiful piece of art.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26151062
    So, the moral of the story is, mathematics writing can be beautiful and elegant too. And I loved how your dad asked you to write lists and finish stories. Many families support reading at an early age, but much fewer families support writing at an early age, and I'm glad your dad fostered a love of both. That's very neat and very rare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very interested in how your dad fostered your academic creativity. He sparked learning in you without making it a drudgery. Because I study child development, I love to gather ways to encourage development and the love for learning. I feel that as a child, that was the experience that you had. I hope that as a teacher I can take your experience and present that to my students. The way you see writing, even in a subject that is not a typical writing subject, is inspiring. Anything can be presented "beautifully" in writing. It is the passion behind it that matters, and that is what we need to teach students. I feel that you have a firm grasp on that.

    ReplyDelete